Installation differs between platforms:
On Windows just download from here and press a double-click on the executable.
On the rpm-based Distros you may install one of the packages from here
On Debian and Ubuntu Gnu/Linux you have:
1. you may simply write in the terminal with the root privileges
apt-get install gretl
Usually there is an up-to-date version there, but also you may compile the newest version from the source in the tarball
When installing from the binary package your system should have the following programs on the board: dependencies When compiling from the source there are some more dependencies.
2.If you are running Debian or *buntu, it is strongly suggested to use a package manager like aptitude or synaptic to download and install packages.
You should be able to do this by adding a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list like this:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main
then in terminal
apt-get build-dep gretl
sudo apt-get install gretl
3. Download the Windows package and install it with Wine.
Mac OS X
Also a port in the FreeBSD system is available
- Install all the dependencies with setup.exe, except install GTK3.
- Also install xinit for X11 Server.
- Also install pkg-config.
- Restart the shell because LAPACK requires things set in the environment and are only picked up upon login.
- Download & install gtksourceview manually because there is no Cygwin module for that.
- wget http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/gtksourceview/3.3/gtksourceview-3.3.4.tar.xz
- xzcat gtksourceview-3.3.4.tar.xz | tar -xvf -
- cd gtksourceview-3.3.4
- make install
- Set PKG_CONFIG_PATH because gtksourceview installs into a different location.
- Download gretl
- bzcat gretl-1.9.7.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -
- cd gretl-1.9.7
- Set a special flag for Cygwin because the configure script doesn't work
- Run configure with special options, again because the configure script doesn't work
configure --enable-static --enable-shared --enable-gtk3
- If you have an older computer without SSE2 instructions, then edit all the Makefiles with SSE2 option and comment them out. Once again the configure script is broken.
find . -name Makefile | xargs grep -i sse2
- Now run 'make' and 'make install'.
- Set your display to run X programs
- Run 'startxwin'
- Run 'gretl'